The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are one of the most prestigious international scholarships in the world. Scholarships are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
- Host Institution(s): University of Cambridge
- Study in: UK
- Course starts: October 2023
- Level/Field of study: PhD, MSc or MLitt, or a one year postgraduate course in any subject offered at the University.
- Number of Awards: About 80 scholarships are awarded each year.
- Target group: Citizens of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- Courses which are NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
- MASt courses (from September 2022)
- Deadline: 12 Oct/1 Dec 2022/3 Jan 2023 (annual)
Also Read DAAD Germany Scholarship 2023 |Fully Funded
Gates Cambridge Scholarships for International Students Benefits
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge including tuition fees, maintenance allowance (£18,384 for 12 months at the 2022-23 rate), travel costs, visa, etc. It also provides additional, discretionary funding such as academic development funding, family allowance, fieldwork, etc.
Read about the full scholarship value at this link.
Gates Cambridge Scholarships for International Students Eligibility:
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study: PhD, MSc or MLitt, or a one year postgraduate course.
Also Read: Mastercard Foundation Scholarship 2023 | Study in South Africa
Gates Cambridge Scholarships for International Students Selection:
Gates Cambridge uses a two-stage selection process to ensure our Scholars meet all of our criteria to the highest level.
- Departmental nomination
Gates Cambridge asks academic departments in Cambridge to nominate a small number of eligible applicants who meet all four of the scholarship’s criteria to a very high level. This ensures that those nominated by departments are academically outstanding and are likely to succeed as a postgraduate student at Cambridge and also that they show evidence of meeting Gates Cambridge’s selection criteria. A relatively small number of those who apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship are nominated by departments and then invited to interview.
All candidates nominated by academic departments are invited to a short interview to assess how they meet all four Gates Cambridge criteria. Scholars are then selected after interview.
If you are called to interview, you will be sent full details about the format and arrangements on the timing set out on our Timeline page. If you are invited for interview you will have gone through an incredibly competitive process.
You will be invited for a 20-25 minute interview and, depending on where you are, you can interview either in person or virtually. Where you are able to attend the interview in person we encourage this.
There are four broadly subject-based interview panels:
- Biological Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Social Sciences
Each panel consists of appropriate and experienced academics and practioners and may also include Gates Cambridge alumni and a representative of the Gates Cambridge Trust.
Each interview has four main sections:
- Welcome and introduction The Chair will introduce the panel, set out the format of the interview, and provide any other essential information to allow for a productive conversation.
- Gates Cambridge
- What you know about the Gates Cambridge Scholarships
- Your motivation for applying
- Why you think you could be a Gates Cambridge Scholar
- Your thoughts on the opportunities and responsibilities that a prestigious, full-cost scholarship at one of the world’s leading universities brings
- Academic and career plans
- Your academic work to date – can you convincingly communicate your passion for, and the importance of, your chosen subject?
- Your proposed degree at Cambridge – can you provide a convincing justification for your choice of course at Cambridge?
- Your career plans – can you convincingly link your application for both a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and your proposed course at Cambridge to your future career plans?
- You may also be asked probing intellectual or ethical questions, to which there are no ‘right’ answers
- Final thoughts and questions: A chance to convey any additional information and/or ask any questions to the interview panel (optional)
If you are not called to interview
You will receive an email from Gates Cambridge confirming that your application has not been successful. You will find further information on our Timeline page.
Are you interested in Studying in Australia? Check this out Top 10 Most Lucrative Fully-Funded Degrees to Study in Australia for International Students
How to Apply
Applications for the academic year 2023-24 entry will open in 15 September 2022.
Applicants submit their application for admission and funding (Gates Cambridge and other funding) via the University’s Graduate Application Portal. To be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship you must complete the section to apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section.
There are two Gates Cambridge application deadlines: 12 October 2022(for US citizens resident in the USA) and either 1 December 2022 or 5 January 2023 depending on the course (for all other eligible applicants).
It is important to read the How to Apply section and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.