Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship 2022
Deadline: November 2, 2021.
The Vanier Canada scholarship is also known as the Canadian Government scholarship for graduate students. It was initiated by the government of Canada, named after Canadian soldier and first Governor-General Georges P. Vanier. 166 scholarships will be awarded this year to the highly talented, skilled and bright graduates who want to pursue higher education in Canada and conduct research that benefits humanity. The scholarship is open for all international students, Canadian citizens and permanent Canadian residents.
The scholarship is offered for Doctorate degree program, MA/PhD, MD/PhD or master’s leading to PhD. The duration of scholarship funding is 3 years; $ 50,000 will be awarded for three years of the PhD program. The scholarship program aims to select outstanding applicants with leadership qualities and demonstrate academic achievements in health-related science, social science and humanities, engineering or natural science. Applicants are selected for a graduate scholarship based on three basic criteria; these are academic excellence, leadership qualities and research potential.
The process to apply for this scholarship is a bit different; applicants cannot apply individually. They need to contact their research institute to make a nomination, or the institute can contact an individual to nominate them. The applicants are required to apply to the university and inform them about the Vanier scholarship nomination.
Areas of Research:
Natural science and engineering
Social science and humanities
- Country: Canada
- Financial coverage: Partially Funded
- Deadline: November 2, 2021
Applicants must meet the following criteria to apply for the Vanier Canada graduate scholarship:
- Applicants and the nominating university must meet the criteria.
- Foreign citizens, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada can apply.
- Applicants must be pursuing the PhD for the first time.
- Applicant must be nominated by only one institute/university
- Applicants must intend to pursue a full-time doctoral degree in the summer semester or the academic year of announcements of results.
- Applicants must have completed no more than twenty months of full-time study in a doctoral program (as of 1 May 2021).
- Applicants must not be receiving any other award, scholarship or funding for PhD program.
- Applicants must have achieved a first-class average in each of the last two years of full-time study.
- Applicants must not receive or have received any other fellowship or scholarship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC.
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship will grant $50,000 per annum for three years of the PhD program.
- A chance to study at a Canadian institute of your choice.
- A ResearchNet application form,
- A personal leadership statement,
- Two letters of recommendation,
- Research contribution,
- A research proposal,
- Project references,
How to Apply
- Applicants should start by looking into Canadian universities to ensure the quota for the institute of their choice. After the first step is done, start the Research Net application form and meet all the Vanier Canada graduate scholarship application requirements.
- The application form can be filled in French or English language only.
- Check the format in which the required documents will be attached and complete all the mandatory steps. Recheck the form to make sure nothing is missed.
- Submit the application to the nominating institute before the internal deadline ends.
- Nominating institute/university will forward recommended nominations to the Secretariat.
- Each student can be nominated by only one institute; if multiple institutes are interested in nominating the same individual, he/she must choose one institute as multiple nominations for the same individual will be rejected.
- The nominee is responsible for contacting the institute for information regarding application and selection.