Be the first to get our daily update, connect with us
Applying for Japan Student Visa
Applying for Japan Student Visa.
The Japanese Student Visa is a type of long-term visa which is accepted by educational institutions in Japan, such as universities, schools and vocational institutions.
The Japanese government has a policy of granting visa exemptions to citizens of a number of nations. The exemption is only valid for brief periods of time, such as tourism, visiting, conducting business, or attending a conference. If you do not require a visa but want to visit Japan for more than 90 days, you must still apply for a visa for the purpose of your visit.
Checkout this opportunity to Study in Japan. Read this MEXT Scholarship 2022 at Hokkaido University
Applying for Japan Student Visa Requirements
The application process requires several documents which include the following:
- Student Visa Application Form, which can be downloaded from embasy websites
- Your valid passport along with photocopies of it
- Passport-size pictures with the following specifications:
- Dimensions: 4cm x 3cm
- Taken within the last three months
- Plain white background, without any patterns and shadows
- You must be starting straight ahead, with a neutral facial expression
- Your face has to be fully visible
- The picture must be good quality (focused, clear, and sharp)
- The Certificate of Eligibility
- Letter of Admission into the Japanese educational institution, indicating the duration and details of the course
- Previous academic and/or professional qualifications, as applicable (diploma, transcripts, etc.)
- Proof you can meet the financial requirements for the duration of your stay in Japan. The financial requirements for a Japanese Student Visa are about 2 Million Yen for one year. You can show that you meet the necessary financial requirements through:
- Bank or income statements
- Proof of a Scholarship
- Proof you receive Financial Aid
- Letter of Sponsorship, if someone is sponsoring you, along with your sponsor’s proof of income and bank statements
- If required:
- Letter of Invitation and Letter of Guarantee issued from your educational institution
- A Motivational or Cover Letter, written by you stating the reason for your travel
You also have to send documents several of these documents to your school so they can apply for the Certificate of Eligibility.
Note this carefully
- The documents have to be printed on A4 paper
- Consult with the Embassy or Consulate whether you should submit copies of the documents or the originals. In some cases, your documents will not be returned to you.
- This is not an exhaustive list of requirements. The Embassy or Consulate in which you apply can request any additional documents, as per your specific case.
Do you that there are numerous benefits studying abroad. Read this Why Study Abroad
How to apply
The application process for applying for a Student Visa is done in two ways :
- Obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility
- Submitting the Japan Student Visa application
1. Obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility
Every foreigner who enters Japan for non-temporary reasons needs to get a Certificate of Eligibility from the Immigration Services in Japan. However, since you have to get this before you enter Japan, it is your school that’s in charge of handling the COE application on your behalf. You have to send them the required documents.
The purpose of the Japan Certificate of Eligibility is to support the actual visa application process. It serves to show you have the approval of the Japanese Immigration Services and that you meet the entry requirements set by the Japanese government for international students.
However, the Certificate of Eligibility for Japan is not the same as a visa; it is merely a prerequisite; you still have to apply for a Japan Student Visa from your home country.
The application process for a Japanese Certificate of Eligibility takes between one to three months.
2. Applying for the Japan Student Visa
After you receive the Certificate of Eligibility, your school has to send it to you so you can use it to apply for the Student Visa from a Japanese Consulate or Embassy in your country. You have to:
- Contact a Japanese Embassy or Consulate near you. Find a list of the Japanese Embassies, Consulates and Permanent Missions here. Some Embassies/Consulate don’t accept direct visa applications, in which case you need to apply through an accredited travel agency or visa application agency.
- Collect the required documents for a Japan Student Visa.
- Submit the Japan Student Visa application either directly at the Embassy/Consulate or at the travel agency or visa application agency. If the Consulate or Embassy considers it necessary, you may also have to go back for an interview or to submit additional documents.
- Collect the visa. Once your Japan Student Visa application has been processed, you have to go back to receive your passport. If the application was approved, you may enter Japan.
Checkout this opportunity to Study in Japan. Read this MEXT Ritsumeikan APU Japanese Government Scholarship 2022
Also read about Studying in Japan