The University of Tokyo MEXT scholarship application period for the academic year 2023 is now open. International students can apply for scholarships to pursue postgraduate (master’s and doctoral) studies at the University of Tokyo. This scholarship is funded by the Ministry of Education, Sports, Culture, Science, and Technology. The UTokyo MEXT scholarship will cover the student’s tuition, travel expenses, and a stipend. The Japanese government scholarship is open to international students who have not previously received any other award or scholarship and do not currently reside or study in Japan.
The University of Tokyo is a Japanese public research university. The university is known to have ten faculties and nearly 30,000 students enrolled, with over 2,000 international students from various countries. According to the QS Global Universities Ranking, the university is the 24th best in the world and the best in Tokyo.
In terms of quality education and performance, Japan’s universities and higher education system rank among the world’s top universities. This is one of the reasons why Japan’s education ministry controls public policy and management. To compete in the world-ranking university competition, the standards are set accordingly. There are 783 universities in total, and 70% of Japan’s youth complete their postgraduate studies, making Japan one of the world’s most educated nations.
This fully funded scholarship is an excellent opportunity for students interested in studying in Japan. Furthermore, they are not required to pay any fees because the Japanese government covers everything. Furthermore, MEXT scholarships are available at many other universities, including Asia Pacific University and Tokyo Institute of Technology. So don’t pass up this chance to study in Japan for free. More information on the MEXT Japanese government scholarship is provided below.
You Can Apply: Global Korea Scholarship 2022-2023
Details about the University of Tokyo MEXT Scholarship
Financial coverage: Fully Funded
Deadline: October 28, 2022
University of Tokyo MEXT Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Do you want to apply for this scholarship to study in Japan? Then check the eligibility criteria and requirements before starting your application.
Eligibility Criteria for the University of Tokyo MEXT Scholarship
- Graduated international students must have a grade point of 2.30/ higher.
- International students who are currently doing their graduation should have a grade point of 2.30/higher in their recent courses.
- Applicants must have an excellent academic record.
- They must belong to one of the countries stated in the list below to apply for the University of Tokyo MEXT scholarship.
- Applicants must be born after 2 April 1988.
- Furthermore, they should have completed the prerequisite education for master and PhD, in the exact or related field they are applying for.
- Students must be proficient in the English language or Japanese; check the requirements here.
- Applicants must be physically and mentally fit.
- Applicants must arrive in Japan on the specified date by their university.
- The former scholarship holder is not eligible.
Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Argentine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bhutan, Bosnia, Botsowana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Bulgaria, Bolivia, Brazil, Cambodia, Colombia, Chile, Czech, Croatia, Cyprus, Cabo Verde, Cameron, Cote d’Ivoire, Chad, Comoros, Central African Republic, Djibouti, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Ecuador, Eritrea, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Greece, Hungary, India, Iran, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Kenya, Kosovo, Laos, Liechtenstein, Libya, Lesotho, Liberia, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Mongolia, Morocco, Mauritius, Malawi, Mozambique, Mali, Maldives, Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Mauritania, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Namibia, Oman, Palestine, Pakistan, Philippines, Peru, Paraguay, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Republic of Congo, Romania, Singapore, Suriname, Slovakia, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Slovenia, Serbia, Syria, South Sudan, South Africa, Somalia, Seychelles, Senegal, Sao Tome and Principle, Sierra Leone, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, The Gambia, Togo, The Sudan, Tanzania, Tunisia, United States of America, Uganda, Uruguay, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Venezuela, Zimbabwe.
You Can Apply: Fully Funded Abu Dhabi University Scholarships
University of Tokyo MEXT Scholarship Benefits
University of Tokyo MEXT Scholarship will cover the following:
- Students will receive a monthly allowance.
- The traveling cost will be covered according to the designated route, an economy class ticket from the airport nearest the residence. MEXT will not cover any cost of local travel expenses and baggage expenses.
- The successful candidates’ enrollment and the tuition fee of the successful students will be exempted.
University of Tokyo MEXT Scholarship Required Documents
- Application form (download from official website).
- Research plan and field of study (download from official website).
- Letter of recommendation from the Dean.
- Passport photo,.
- Official transcript from the university attended last.
- Language proficiency score.
- Abstract of the thesis.
- Official statement of graduation expected (for students expected to graduate after applying).
- Copy of passport.
- The documents must be in Japanese or English; A4 format using MS Word must be duplex printing. If the documents are in another language, they should be accompanied by a translation.
- The documents will not be returned; if the application is submitted after the deadline, it will not be accepted. The application will be rejected if the application or necessary documents are not complete or correct.
- If the applicant reaches Japan after or before the designated time, the scholarship will not cover travel expense. If they cannot travel on the designated period, they should decline the scholarship if the students arrive without a newly obtained visa.
You Can Apply: Montreal University Scholarship in Canada
How To Apply For University of Tokyo MEXT Scholarship
- Before submitting the documents, applicants must apply for admission to the Graduate School of Science (Master’s/Doctoral Program).
- Applicants must also submit the tracking receipt of the documents submitted before the deadline.
- For a complete application guide, visit the link below.
- The deadline to apply for the University of Tokyo MEXT Scholarship in Japan is 28 October 2022.